Monday, August 18, 2014

Watermelon Gazpacho





On one of the rare steamy hot summer days in Duluth last week, I yearned for a cold, refreshing soup that was a bit different from my usual tomato gazpacho or cucumber soups.  This one from Eating Well fit the description for my desires.  The only modification I made to it was to reduce the amount of olive oil and salt.  I considered trying coconut oil in it, but thought the coconut oil would harden in a cold soup.  So I opted for the olive oil and reduced the amount.

Unfortunately, by the time I could make the soup, the temperature was down to 61 degrees.   But the soup was still filled with Pzazz!  My husband, Tom, and our son, Sam, both gave it a thumbs up, as well.  


Ingredients:
8 cups finely diced seedless watermelon, (about 6 pounds with the rind)
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preparation:
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Puree to desired consistency.  My immersion blender worked well for this. Serve at room temperature or chilled.





Nutrition per serving :
Servings per recipe: 8
Serving Size: 1 cup
Calories: 68
Total Fat:  2 g
Cholesterol:  0 mg
Sodium: 138  mg
Total Carbs: 12 g
Dietary Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 1 g


No comments:

Post a Comment