Friday, May 17, 2013

Quick Chilled Pea Soup


Quick Chilled Pea Soup
I found a recipe for Quick Chilled Pea Soup in the April 2013 issue of Cooking Light and the thought of a chilled soup that used peas seemed an appropriate way to celebrate the warm weather that finally arrived in Duluth. The day I made it, the sun was shining and it was 66 degrees. But today, the temperature plummeted to 46 degrees.  So, rather than eating it cold today, I heated it. It warmed my chilly body and soul and was still delicious. It became Quick "For the Chilled" Pea Soup.  

I needed to modify the recipe in several ways to accommodate my needs, such as eliminating the half-n-half and the garnish of sauteed peas.  I retained the olive oil but reduced the amount substantially.  I just wasn't sure how coconut oil would taste with peas.

The original recipe appealed to me because of the addition of the spinach to a traditional combination of mint and peas.  Not only did the spinach enhance the green color, it also increased the nutrient value. Pzazz even on a chilly day.

Mint
Ingredients:
3 cups frozen petite green peas
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1 1/2  teaspoon olive oil                                    
1 minced garlic clove
1 cup ice water
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Plain non-fat yogurt for garnish (not included in nutritional analysis) 

Preparation:
Place the peas and 1/4 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl.  (I used my large glass Pyrex container so I could use my immersion blender to puree the soup.)  Cover the container with plastic wrap; pierce once with a knife to vent.  Microwave at high for 5 minutes.  Add 2 cups fresh baby spinach; cover and microwave at high for 2 minutes.  Drain and rinse well with cold water; drain.   Place the spinach mixture, olive oil, garlic clove, ice water, mint, lemon juice and salt into the Pyrex container (or a blender if you used a regular bowl).  Blend until smooth.  Garnish with a dollop of plain yogurt and a sprig of fresh mint. Serve immediately, or chill.  Or wait for a cold day and serve it warm.

Ready to puree

Nutrition per serving:                                              
Servings per recipe: 4                                              
Serving Size: About 3/4  cup    
Calories: 101                                                      
Total Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg                
Sodium:  19 mg
Total Carbs: 15 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 5 g

No comments:

Post a Comment