Friday, February 10, 2012

Broccoli-Tofu Soup

Broccoli-Tofu Soup




As I mentioned in my previous post, I have been struggling with my health this past week and have needed to be even more cautious than usual choosing what to eat.  So today as I was feeling a bit better, I made a new combination that turned out great.  It's simply pureed broccoli with silken tofu added to it, spiced with soy sauce and a pinch of Five-Spice Powder.  Silken tofu is a great addition to soups to make it creamy without adding fat or many carbohydrates while also packing a punch of protein. For soups, I generally buy Mori-Nu Silken Tofu in the Extra Firm variety.  Tofu readily absorbs whatever flavor you put with it, making it ideal for adding to soups.   Most of all, I knew as I ate this for lunch that it wouldn't create any digestive tract blockages and the fiber in the pureed broccoli would keep my sluggish bowels on the move.   


Ingredients:
3 cups chopped broccoli florets
1 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
1 12.3-oz package Silken Tofu, extra firm
1/2 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
pinch of Five-Spice Powder


Preparation:
Place the broccoli florets in a 6 cup glass measuring container with the vegetable broth.  Microwave on high power till the broccoli is tender, about 8 minutes.  Puree the broccoli and broth with a hand-held immersion blender in the glass container. Add the tofu and seasonings and puree it a bit more.


Nutrition:
Servings per recipe: 3
Serving Size: About 1 1/2 cups
Calories: 95
Total Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 201 mg
Total Carbs: 8 g
Dietary Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 11 g

No comments:

Post a Comment