Friday, January 6, 2012

Roasted Pears



My friend, Kris, made a salad of mixed greens with roasted pears and walnuts with bleu cheese for a December gathering with friends.  While I couldn't eat the salad, I peeled, mashed, and devoured the roasted pear and then understood why everyone was exclaiming about the salad.  So I made the pears again for myself at Christmas and it was just the festive treat I craved.  What a merry good time!   In fact, it was such a merry time, that I didn't get a photo of the roasted pears, so I simply added a photo of pears today.  Pears seem to be at their best this time of year.  One day I  sauteed them in a saucepan rather than roasting them and again, they were delectable. 

Ingredients:
1 medium pear, peeled and cut into wedges or cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 Tablespoon bottled pomegranate juice
3/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon pure maple syrup
pinch of ground cinnamon
pinch of sea salt


Preparation:
Peel and core the pear and slice it into wedges or cubes.  Place it in an ovenproof baking dish.  Mix the remaining ingredients and pour it over the pear cubes; stir to coat all the pieces of the pear very well.  Roast in a 400 degree oven for 10 - 15 minutes.  It will be soft enough that it doesn't even need to be pureed.

Nutrition per serving:
Servings per recipe: 1
Serving Size: About 1/2 - 3/4 cup, depending on size of pear
Calories: 180 calories
Total Fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium:  3 mg
Total Carbs: 31 g
Dietary Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 1 g

No comments:

Post a Comment