Saturday, January 28, 2012

Quick Cauliflower and Broccoli Soup with Nutmeg



It's important for me to have some quick and easy ways to incorporate pureed vegetables in my meals.  This soup is a favorite one that I created because not only is it extremely quick, the nutmeg seasoning adds just the right amount of punch to give a satisfying taste experience.  I try to keep bags of broccoli and cauliflower in the freezer for times when I simply don't have the energy to make anything more complicated.  The vibrant green color of this soup makes it particularly appealing.  It is similar to the recipe I posted earlier for Quick Cauliflower and Broccoli soup, but this one uses nutmeg.  Compensating for the lack of varied textures with an assortment of spices is one of the most important strategies I have learned on this journey into Pureed Pzazz.  Using this soup as a starter, you can use a variety of seasonings to create your own favorite combinations.  


Ingredients:
1 cup frozen or fresh broccoli florets
1 cup frozen or fresh cauliflower florets
Approximately 1 cup water
Nutmeg, to desired taste
Sea salt to desired taste

Preparation:
Put the broccoli and cauliflower with water into a microwave safe 4-cup container.  (I like to use my 4-cup glass Pyrex measuring cup for most soups that I make in the microwave because I can then simply put the immersion blender into this container to puree the contents. Then I have only one dish to wash.) Microwave on high for about 5 - 6 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.  Cool slightly, then puree with an immersion blender.  Add nutmeg to desired taste.  A small amount of sea salt can also be added to desired taste.  

Nutrition: (doesn't include salt)
Servings per recipe: 1
Serving Size: Approx. 1 1/2 cup
Calories: 53
Total Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0  mg
Sodium: 49 mg
Total Carbs: 9 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 3 g

No comments:

Post a Comment