Saturday, November 26, 2011

Curried Pumpkin Ginger Soup

In addition to the soup recipe that I posted a couple of days ago for Thanksgiving, I also made this spicy pumpkin soup.  I have no idea where this recipe originated.  Last week, as I was cleaning out my 3-ring binder of "recipes to try", I discovered this recipe on a printed piece of paper, but without a source notation.   Anyway, I  couldn't resist adding it to my Thanksgiving menu.  Garnished with a dollop of yogurt and freshly grated nutmeg, it was a big hit with several family members at our Thanksgiving meal.  

My family does an outstanding job of making me feel as "normal" as possible by at least trying my pureed soups, and then exclaiming how delicious they taste.  Ah...I am truly thankful for my family.  My husband, Tom, did all of the preparation of the turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes and gravy and other family members brought the side dishes. My son, Caleb, and his wife, Kiara, brought a cranberry relish that they had pulverized very finely so I could tolerate it, in addition to scalloped corn, andoulle sausage dressing,  and homemade sourdough bread.  My son Dan works at the Wedge Whole Foods Co-op in Mpls and he brought maple glazed sweet potatoes and green beans almondine, and my friend Tahirih brought a vibrantly fresh green salad.  While I couldn't eat those side dishes, the lack was more than compensated for by the abundance of love surrounding me.   

Today, I warmed my soup for lunch and served it with a crisp cracker and some finely chopped/ground turkey.   Who doesn't love the leftovers just as much as....if not more than...Thanksgiving dinner!  




Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cups finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small potato, peeled, boiled and cubed
1 1/2 Tablespoons peeled fresh ginger, minced
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 Tablespoon curry powder
3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne), or to taste
  (I used about 1/2 teaspoon)
2 15-oz. cans solid-pack pumpkin
3 cups water
4 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth   
1 14-oz can unsweetened coconut milk
Juice of half a lemon
Salt to taste
Dollop of plain non-fat yogurt
Freshly grated nutmeg for garnish

Preparation:
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over moderate heat and add onions.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic, ginger and cooked potato cubes; continue cooking for 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Add spices and puree in a blender or food processor with a little of the broth and return to the soup pot.

Add pumpkin, water, broth and coconut milk, stirring to combine and simmer gently, uncovered, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Serve immediately, or refrigerate, covered, for up to 3 days.  Reheat when ready to serve.  Squeeze some lemon juice into the soup and ladle into bowls.  Garnish with a dollop of plain yogurt and freshly grated nutmeg.

Nutrition:  (Does not include the dollop of yogurt for garnish)
Servings per recipe: 12
Serving Size: Approx. 1 cup
Calories: 141
Total Fat: 10 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 62 mg
Total Carbs: 14 g
Dietary Fiber: 3
Protein: 1 g

No comments:

Post a Comment